So you decided to forgo the usual commenting system that Blogger offers and get all fancy with IntenseDebate and/or Disqus.
Is it working fine for you and you really like it? Disregard this post then.
Not working? Readers complaining? Slow load time? You found the right spot for help.
First step, go to the InstallDebate/Disqus website and perform the uninstall function. Remove widgets.
Yeah…that didn’t work did it?
OK, now you can email support or Twitter to see if someone will walk you through the steps. IntenseDebate will contact you through Twitter like a knight in shining armor offering to hold your hand and slay the ID dragon.
They will ask for your “expanded html” and then send you a uninstall patch back. Yup, that doesn’t work either. You get all kinds of messages like “not parsed well” “ must be followed with “” or “>”
Don’t bother trying to find and fix these “not parsed well” codes. Even using Ctrl+F it is not going to end well…trust me. You will probably have restless dreams at night seeing html codes while standing naked in front of your old high school class.
- Calling your mother and crying about it. Sure she loves you and will fix anything wrong in your life, but this is outside her area of expertise. She will tell you however to make sure you have on clean underwear (which doesn’t help, but will make you feel refreshed.)
- Applying for a handgun permit and threatening your computer interrogation style (toothpicks under the keyboard keys doesn’t seem to be effective either. You are dealing with a “unbreakable” force
- Wine and Advil. This is only going to cloud your judgment and reaction times. You need to be clear headed and fast on your feet.
- A priest. While dousing your computer with Holy Water may seem like the only way to rid yourself of the “Commenting Entity”, it is well known that electronics and water don’t play well together.
- Begging and pleading with your html to just parse and be done. Computers have no “sympathy programming” and I am pretty sure it is laughing at you anyways.
The only way I found to rid yourself of the IntenseDebate/Disqus commenting system. Is to nuke your whole html code that you have probably spent hours working with (or paid someone to do for you) and go back to a bare bones template with no edits.
Now that you have cleared everything out (and probably gotten really sick at your stomach for doing it) you will see that you still have all your content, but no design, widgets or anything that makes it yours. You will have to rebuild it at this point.
Congratulations you have slayed the mighty IntenseDebate and/or Disqus.
What was that you said? You don’t have a comment link at all under your posts? There are a couple of easy fixes for this.
- Go to your Settings and then Comments. Make sure everything is enabled to make your comments show up in this area.
- You can also go to your post and hit edit. Once you are in edit mode, go to “post options” (that’s in the little frame around your post at the bottom) and you will have an option to enable comments.
I wish you the best of luck and we have all learned something from this, haven’t we??
Don’t do that again.